Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oaks of righteousness

If you live anywhere around Magnolia you are most likely aware of the tragedy that took place last Friday. Two 19 year old girls lost their lives in a tragic car accident, Anne Donlon and Katie Walker. The Donlon’s are part of our church family so as you can imagine we have surrounded them with love and serving to the fullest extent that we know. I promise you it was nothing compared to the love God poured over them. I know her parents Andy and Teresa from various events in the church (youth, women’s events etc.) and only knew sweet Anne from picking up my kids from Sunday school however the last 6 days have made me feel like I have known them my whole life, and that my friend is through the love that Christ has given us.

1 John 4:9-10 says, 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. vs 19, We love because he first loved us.
As I stood back and watched and heard what these families were going through I begged God to heal their pain. Monday night I watched the family greet and minister to over 1200 people at Anne’s wake, I then watched the family stand up and minister and preach to the 600 plus that attended her funeral. It was all about God and his mercy and grace and how they were giving him all the glory. Broken, hurting, bleeding people…desperate for their God. One thing that both of the families have said is, “If just one person comes to know Jesus because of my daughter’s death, then it will be worth it.” A statement I will never forget. I wish so badly that each of you could hear what they spoke. It was more witnessing than I have ever heard from any sermons combined. It was beautiful and gut wrenching and Jesus flowed all throughout it.

I have been reading in Genesis this morning and thought it might be fitting to share the story of Abraham and Isaac. This story is really special to me because of all the stories in the bible God has used this one to teach me the most. As a matter of fact at the ripe age of 18 my mother in law shared this story with me and I swore I would never serve a God that would require that of me. Oh little did I know back then. Many of you are familiar with the story, if not take a minute and read Genesis 22.
God had told Abraham to take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I tell you about. The story goes on to say (Genesis 22) that he did as the LORD had asked. He cut the wood and prepared the altar, he bound his son and laid him there. Then he took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham! Do not lay a hand on the boy, “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” (Oh, thank you God that this story ended this way, I’m not sure I could have made it through it if not.) I always try and figure out how he explained this all to Isaac, I guess that is one of those things we will not know until we get there.

It took many years to realize that the reason Abraham was so willing and obedient was because he knew that God had made his covenant with him through his offspring (Genesis 15) and Isaac was his offspring. So, if God wanted him to sacrifice him, God was going to have to resurrect him from death. He had faith that I cannot comprehend and fear of the LORD that I cannot imagine.  I have been told before that God may have also wanted Ab to experience firsthand what it was going to be like for God when Jesus was to be crucified.
Can you imagine? What it would it be like to have enough faith in your God that you knew whatever the circumstance you would trust him? When I think about how the Donlon family spoke about accepting that she was no longer here but in heaven and embracing the love and plan that God has in all of this. I wondered if I could say the same.

I thought it was only fitting that our Pastor did and altar call at the end of the service. He gave everyone that opportunity to know Jesus and to spend our lives with Him forever in eternity with Him. Do you know Him? What I need you to know that if that were have been me at 19 my family would have been mourning in a whole different way than just the loss of my life. The one thing that I think we are able to hang onto when losing someone is the joy that they are in heaven, surrounded by his glory and splendor and majesty. They have accomplished our ultimate goal. If that isn’t the case I’m not sure how we cope.
If you haven’t come to know Him yet it’s time. We are not promised tomorrow. I don’t know how else to tell you that. Psalm 103:15-16 says, As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and it’s place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children – with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

I pray that the love of Jesus grabs a hold of you and never lets you go. I pray that you experience the urgency to have a relationship with him because if something were to happen you don’t get a 2nd chance there. To be absent from body is to be present with the LORD, no matter which place you are headed. You will meet your Maker, eternity is a very long time.
Isaiah 61:1-3, I memorized this years ago from a bible study. I am pretty sure this is what Teresa read at her daughters funeral.

 1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.
Matthew 11:28, Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right that we are not guaranteed our time on this earth. We must be ready at all times. The Lord loves all of his children and doesn't want any of them to miss Heaven but it is each individual's choice. Thanks for sharing Kris.

    ReplyDelete