Saturday, June 1, 2013

His grace is sufficient


I have spent the last year or so compiling notes on a personal study on Freedom.  It has been life changing for me because this not only has been my struggle, but still is my struggle to some degree. The last few weeks I have been really dissecting the difference between Fear VS. Faith. The interesting part, and what has really blown my mind, is the simplicity of what God says about it, freedom that is. F R E E D O M.

This morning I watched one of Beth Moore's DVD lessons on Esther and before the sun fully came up I had a revelation (it was really hard for me to not capitalize that and put spaces in it like I did freedom, but I'm trying to take my enthusiasm down a notch, you're welcome). Here is what Beth said.  

I'm phrasing, "God's grace is given according to our needs not according to our fears, NOT for our vain imaginations." Please tell me that some of you had to stop and read that again. In other words (my words not Beth's), when I am struggling with a stronghold of fear and for the life of me cannot figure out why God is not delivering me from it I have to stop and ask this question. "Lord is this me and my amped up flesh seeking imagination or are you giving me discernment and warning me of something?" I seriously could end my research on freedom right here.

Here is my experience. Since this topic hits home for me I can almost always relate when someone is fearful over something. I can literally walk into a situation and in my mind lay out the top two worst possible scenarios that could happen, anybody else? But here is what God revealed to me today through Beth. As I sat in my chair thinking about her words I felt God press these words into my spirit, "I have delivered you from this thing, but you are failing to believe it, and to receive it, and to stand in the truth of it and to TRUST me." Can you just breathe a huge sigh of relief with me?!

The things we dream up or work ourselves up over are legitimate feelings, but listen to this one...they are not necessarily a legitimate threat or concern. They can be a threat alright, right from the enemies mouth but for God's children it has no power.

In 2 Corinthians 7-10, Paul says this about The Thorn in the Flesh,

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me,  “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 

Let me say that I do not always believe that when I am dealing with something in the area of fear that it is always from the enemy. I believe that God equips us with a healthy dose of concern and worry mixed with common sense. Really, I'm not wanting to so much call it worry, more spiritual discernment or a God given awareness. Life is hard and this world is crazy, we would be naive to not be aware.

Maybe for you it is the thought of something happening to your children or your spouse, or loved ones. If you have experienced anything like my family has where for the past 3 years we have buried a family member a year, than you understand the constant worry of what is next...who is next. Or maybe the fear is over yourself, you may have health issues that constantly haunt you as to what the future will hold or just the constant worry of the big "C" word Cancer.

There are times where God gives me discernment over something specific and believe me I know it when it comes from him. But then there are other times where my mind runs crazy, I can't sleep or focus and hang here with me I have even cried over the visions that enemy has flashed before me. Listen, Satan doesn't even have to carry the whole scenario through with me, I am perfectly capable of grabbing onto it and just giving way to it, can anyone else relate? That my friend is what Beth was talking about in here lesson over fear. In those moments where I am consumed by the "threat" of something that is so farfetched or so unnecessary I have to stand up and STOP it dead in its tracks. Because God says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

His grace will cover our needs, and our faith and trust that we put in Jesus will cover our vain imaginations. The second part takes practice, and defiantly something that takes utilizing and getting use to.

Last year I went through a time of horrific nightmares. I mean to the point that I went to my Pastor and two women who are mentors to me for prayer. Those dreams were absolutely some of my worst fears come true, and looked even worse than I could have imagined.

A couple of months ago I was talking to a friend about them and she asked me this question, "If the enemy cannot be in you, for once you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then how can you explain having these dreams?" In other words how could they be from the enemy?

I took me a few days to answer her because honestly I hadn't looked at it like that. So I took the question to God and this is what I sent her.

As weird as this sounds I think the dreams were from God. I know that sounds a little strange but in every single dream I was victorious by the power I have in the Holy Spirit that dwells within me no matter the situation.

I also believe that God allowed me to have these dreams to forewarn me on how I need not to get stagnate or complacent in my walk with Him. I believe he was showing me how important it is to be guarded and prepared at all times. Plus, I think God wanted me to see that dealing with the enemy is a part of life. Although it seems terrifying and something that I wish at times was not so evident and felt so real, that ultimately the devil has no power or authority over my life.

Maybe for me this is my thorn in my flesh. Who knows, but at times it sure feels like it. All I know is that whatever it is when I feel the presence of fear crawling up over me like a thick winding vine I need to hit my knees first. Before the first vivid scene that my vain imagination is ready to project, before my heart drops into the pit of my stomach and certainly before I allow it to go so far that I feel God has abandon me in delivering me from it. We have to stop making up and receiving these lies from our flesh and from the enemy. Period.

I've often asked God why I deal with fear to the extent that I do. I even went to counseling over this very thing, even my counselor told me that I knew what to do about it, it was just whether or not I would be willing to trust God over it.

Paul's thorn was impart to keep him humble, couldn't that be true for all of us.

I believe that one of the major reasons for my thorn is the constant reminder to trust Him. To somehow be willing to lay down the control and to give into the willingness to be taught. To keep me humble and focused on Him, to teach me to be equipped and yet to fully rely on Him.   

 

I wish I could hear your thoughts on this one. So many different situations and real life tragedies. So much brokenness and yet the willingness of a Sovereign God to cover you with his grace. His grace is sufficient for you my friend, he promises to cover your needs.

 

Be blessed

 

No comments:

Post a Comment