Thursday, November 10, 2011

Burning Bridges

Psalm 139:23-24, Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

 So here is the first part of my testimony. I had no intention of sharing this today but I read this quote on Facebook this morning and knew this was to be the topic. It said, "The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn". Wow, I need a sign that says that for my office. Around 6 or 7 years ago I reached a point in my walk with God where I felt empty. I had spent a huge amount of time and healing on the mountain top with Him when all of a sudden I felt like I fell off a cliff. I was really confused and talked to my mother in law about it. She showed me Psalm 139 and after reading it I decided to start my daily prayer time with those last two versus that I listed above. Can I just say that it is not for the faint of heart! God did not waste a moment before He began to give me what I have called for the last 6 years, “The List”.  What struck me about this quote was that I literally looked at each of my sins and strongholds as individual bridges. As He would give me something (person, place or thing) I would actually picture myself walking up to the bridge. Then I had to make the decision as to walk across or tear it down. If I walked across who would encourage me on, Jesus or the Enemy?  Was Jesus waiting for me on the other side or was I about to step into the dark wilderness all alone? I think the hardest part for me were the things that He required for me to hand over that weren’t so obvious. I mean some bridges just looked scary, broken boards, warning signs and old. Then others seemed safe and new and harmless. I went through a season of hurt and frustration over them and at a time stopped praying for Him to search me, I’m laughing as I type this. The fact was that more than anything else I wanted to be saved from my guilt, my shame and my worries and if I were going to do that then I knew there was no turning back, and how could I…those bridges were gone. Deuteronomy 6:5, The LORD our God, the LORD is one. 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. I mean how can you do that if your life is filled with things that hurt you heart, empty your soul and make you weak? I accepted the challenge and six years later still fight with burning bridges. Have you ever been across one of those HUGE bridges? Like the one that you have to cross in Louisiana? Well, that is the bridge that I struggle with today. Swap land underneath, no place to pull over and once you enter on there is no end in sight for a really long time. I’m inching my way closer to torching it and when I do the victory that will be won will have the devil fighting mad. The bible holds so many scriptures that helped me, and encouraged me when things were hard. Here are a few. 1Peter 5:8, Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Galatians 5:25-26, Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Matthew 18:7, Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! My list could go on and on. One thing I want to make clear is this. Your list probably wouldn’t be the same as mine. God knows our hearts, our struggles and our weaknesses. I wanted to ask as a group if you would be willing to commit to something for the next 7 days. Find a notepad, piece of paper, journal or whatever you have and daily open your bibles to Proverbs 3. Commit to reading it daily and ask God to reveal to you anything that is holding you back. Take the time to journal any feelings or thoughts and at the end of these seven days be willing to do a little bridge burning of your own.

Proverbs 3 1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, 2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.[a] 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. 8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. 9 Honor the LORD with your wealth,
with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. 11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, 12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.13 Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, 14 for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. 16 Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. 17 Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
those who hold her fast will be blessed. 19 By wisdom the LORD laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; 20 by his knowledge the watery depths were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew.
21 My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; 22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. 23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 25 Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, 26 for the LORD will be at your side and will keep your foot from being snared. 27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. 28 Do not say to your neighbor, “Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you”— when you already have it with you. 29 Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you. 30 Do not accuse anyone for no reason— when they have done you no harm. 31 Do not envy the violent or choose any of their ways. 32 For the LORD detests the perverse but takes the upright into his confidence. 33 The LORD’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous. 34 He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed. 35 The wise inherit honor, but fools get only shame.

I’ll end with this, one of my favorite versus.

Psalm 97:1-6

1 The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice.
2 Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne. 3 Fire goes before him and consumes his foes on every side. 4 His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles.
5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
6 The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all peoples see his glory.


1 comment: