Thursday, October 20, 2011

Is there Joy in sorrow?

I don’t know about you but I have had a week where I have been really sensitive and had some serious sorrow over some things (ok ladies, let’s just be honest here, we all know what that means – sorry guys).  I think it may be because this time of year gets very busy for us, good busy, but in return it makes me miss some things, mainly people. In the last year and a half we have lost two core people in our immediate family, my granny and my step-mom. I can’t help but get sad when I think about both of my kids having Birthdays before the end of the year and of course the Holidays, things will never be the same without them. So, if we have no choice but to push through this harsh and crazy thing we call life, don’t you want to do it with Jesus? I know I do. And if he is the only reason that you decide to crawl out of bed some mornings then so be it. Today I wanted to talk about dealing with two types of sorrow; first let’s look at sorrow from (heartache/loss) in affiliation with Joy.  Isaiah 35:10 say, and those the LORD has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Jeremiah 31:12 says, They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD— the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more.  Jeremiah 31:13 says, Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. My friend, I hate to even think about what you may personally be feeling over this topic. There are some of you that have experienced hurt in a way that I’m afraid to even let my mind consider but what I want to suggest is this. Sometimes in the darkest places we can see Him the clearest. Sometimes just finding the strength to climb to your knees and cry out to Him is where He comforts us the most. There is no magical formula here when dealing with this type of sorrow, but we have a God who carries the name Jehovah Rophi, meaning He is our healer. Psalm 147:3-5 says, 3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. 4 He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. 5 Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.

Let me also suggest that sorrow isn’t only in dealing with loss or heartache, it happens a ton in dealing with bondage from our sin. Anybody know what the definition of godly sorrow is? It is the conviction of the Holy Spirit in your heart; for any wrong doing, and for your need to repent. 2 Corinthians 7:10 says, Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. Let me clarify what I am trying to say here. In this life we will deal with sorrow, there is no possible way around it. What I am suggesting is this, whether we have sorrow from heartache & loss or sorrow brought upon ourselves from choices made in sin; you can be healed and made whole again. I want you to understand this 2 Cor 5:21 says, God made him (Jesus) who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. This is what this is all about! Jesus died for the salvation of our sins, so that we may have relationship with God, to cry out to Him and be heard. To be healed by Him in all of our sorrows and to know Him in a way that surpasses any human relationship. There is help, there is hope, his name is Jesus. Just hand over the thing that is causing so much misery and sorrow in your life and let Jehovah Rophi heal you. Let Him heal you and wash you clean. Psalm 30:5 says, 5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning. It’s not too late, believe me, He’s big enough to handle it.  Every once in a while when I feel that thing called sorrow creeping up on me I tend to find myself in the same cycle of hopelessness. I run to my bible and cling on to this. Galatians 5:1 says. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Let’s just call it what it is, and be done with it. Amen! Now go out and stand your ground and fight for your freedom in Him. He is waiting.




2 comments:

  1. Amen Krisy! Well said :-)

    One of my favorite verses for when things seem overwhelming and sorrow hangs over me....
    Psalm 34:18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Kris!!! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete