Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A little but of randomness & confession

This is a random post, maybe because I am just in a random mood. I’ll have you know that I just stood in my kitchen, in the dark, well not completely in the dark but dark enough that if my kids got out of bed they would not see me, and ate Creamy Creations Toasted Almond Fudge…out of the container. (I know some of you grammar freaks out there are about to lose it with me right now). Don’t ask me why but it felt so liberating doing that, maybe I just need some sleep.  Just in case you’re wondering I am a die-hard Blue Bell fan but this ice cream is wonderful. Told you this would be random. Anyways, I am here to confess a few things (James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.) so because of that scripture and hearing my husband say it about 20 times recently I’m doing this, thanks Will. I have been so judgmental and negative the last week or so that I finally acted and said enough things today that I offended myself. I guess I could blame this on being a creature of comfort and give you all the reasons that I don’t adjust well to change or I can just call it what it is and claim the sin. However you want to package this one, there is no bow to make this pretty. You see we have this amazing new church that we absolutely love. It’s small with big personality and we are currently getting ready to move into our new building. I feel like we found this place at the perfect time and we are really excited to be a part of the new changes about to occur. We have met new people and have created new friendships but all of a sudden I have felt myself shutting down. I just recently discovered that this church is a huge supporter of missions and also focuses a ton on CLG groups (small groups) and I must say that takes me a little out of my comfort zone. Missionaries are amazing to me. I respect their dedication and involvement in ways that I don’t have the words for. I was recently invited to listen to this amazing young woman who is literally dedicating her life to the mission field and moving to Thailand and not for a year a two, I mean moving. I envy all of this but might I add I do this from the comforts of my sweet home. Then there is the CLG groups. Well, I appreciate small groups but honestly that falls on my list of “one more thing to do” and usually doesn’t get done. I’m always grateful when I do attend but not so willing to devote the time. I hope this post does not come across as anything negative about my church, it actually has nothing to do with my church, it is just me putting my thoughts and struggles out there for you to read (whoever you may be J). What I am getting at is this, I love my alone time with God, and maybe at this point I’ve become too comfortable in it. When I felt God calling me to a writing ministry 10 years ago I only imagined time spent alone with Him (and maybe teaching a class or two). I guess I dreamed up a life of seclusion with Him; how I ever missed the interaction with my church family I have no idea, but here I am working out the details. The reason I spill all of this randomness to you is to ask this question. Do we find ourselves too comfortable in our routines, our callings and our church? Are we just getting by with the minimal requirements and missing out on fulfillment from serving and stepping out of our comfort zone? Yes, yes and yes. Come on, if we are going to be honest with ourselves we all know that there is more that we can be doing and if we are willing to listen to God he will lead us. As I sorted thru my thoughts today I felt God reminding me of this. Psalm 139  You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.

After reading that what else can I say? He knows our thoughts, He knows our intentions and more than anything He knows our hearts. When I choose to act and feel like I have lately I know that He is not pleased, to say the least. As Christians we are called to serve, to give and to seek the ever changing life plan He has for us. Let us not get complacent with our journey. No one benefits from that. I challenge you to do the same thing that I have challenged myself to do, get up a move forward. My husband just went to the men’s retreat and something the speaker said to them over and over was this, “I, myself will go”. Love it. So as of today, I, myself am going. I’m stepping out of my comfort places and moving forward into the next step of my journey. I may not always be comfortable with the way things are going but I if I can stay focused on God and allow Him to lead me than I know His Glory will prevail. So as I embrace the newness of my church I pray that I will have a willing spirit to experience new things and create new beginnings. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. So I ask you, Are you equipped? And if so are you seeking your good work? If not then let me just suggest that it’s time to get out of our pretty little boxes and step out into the open. The Word of God also says this, 2 Timothy 3:1-5  But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,  without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,  treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—  having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. Listen, this is happening everywhere we look. They need us, God needs us to be His servants. Each of us have a much needed calling and there is just no time to waste anymore. What are we waiting for? Some miraculous fire in the bushes…If you are willing take the time this week a read the book of Titus (it is very short). Let God speak to your heart and lead you into the journey He has created for you. Let Him set the limits on what you can handle, I promise you, you will be blessed by it. Feeling empty? Turn to this. 2 Timothy 4:2-8  Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.  For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.  But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. - I want to keep the faith, and although there are days that I’m not very good at it I am determined to actively reach for it. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts...as always! It sounds like this might be a good season to do a little personal study on the "one anothers" of Scripture. :) I am saying this from one "loner with God" person to another. :)

    ReplyDelete