Thursday, October 13, 2011

My portion...

Psalm 119:57-60 57 You are my portion, LORD; I have promised to obey your words. 58 I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
If you do a word search on the word portion (in bible gateway.com) you will see over and over that portion is mainly in relation to sacrifice. I thought this was so perfect because I believe it is not until we are willing to make sacrifices to the LORD, that He is able to bless us with His portion. I asked myself just now what it means for God to be my portion. Here is what I felt. Your portion, LORD is my daily bread, my food for life, my reasoning for fighting for what I know is mine. Your portion LORD is what keeps this anxiety ridden head of mine calm and content. Your portion LORD is what has given my life a real purpose, one that consists of a physical, emotional & spiritual need from you that can not be quenched. Your portion, LORD, is the soul difference between me just claiming to be a Christian verses choosing to stand up and being willing to serve and do something for His Kingdom. When was the last time that you just could not get enough of Him? Let me dare to say this, but if you can not remember, maybe it’s time to offer up a sacrifice (or two). I can promise you that this is not how this has always been for me. I would listen to people talk about this amazing relationship and love they had for Jesus and I would often feel like I was failing because I didn’t feel the same way. After asking Him why my walk seemed so different He did not waste much time in showing me the things that were hindering it. He will never force himself upon us, unfortunately. He will however pull back his covering to the extent of feeling bare and exposed in ways like never before. I’ve always been told that if you feel far from God turn around, and I still believe that in most situations. However, I also believe that at times He just steps back and allows me to feel the distance between us. A hallowing, dark, empty distance…and I don’t like it. Romans 4:7-8 says, Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him. The original Greek word for never in this passage is a double negative…no, never. This is beautiful scripture and one that I have had underlined in my bible for a long time along with a ton of notes around it. What I want you to see here is that although every single bit of that scripture is truth, ours sins do not come without consequence and for me, sacrifice. I want us to stop pretending to be living in a way that we are not. Anybody else? Sometimes I even try to kid myself…so ridiculous. Romans 5:2-5 says this, And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given to us. So this is the thing, do you want your portion from Him or not? Then seek it. Turn today, reach out to Him, pour out your heart, your faults, your hurt and you concerns. He will listen, He will provide, He is just waiting on you to be faithful in acknowledging that He is able. I love these verses in Isaiah, 44:22 says, I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you… vs.24 This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb. I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself. Now try and tell Him he isn’t capable of dealing with anything you bring to the table…Isaiah 61:7 says, Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs. Gods word is for us, it doesn’t matter if in the Old Testament or New (we are just not under the law of the Old, because we have freedom in Christ). So don’t ever think that just because God spoke these things so many years ago that they aren’t to be applied to our life now. His word is alive, His love is endless, and His portion for you is overflowing. Get out there and go claim what is yours.

1 comment: